Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sonia Sanchez: An Inspiration to All

by Jillian Washburn

Walking into the Main Auditorium yesterday to hear Sonia Sanchez read her poems and speak to the audience, I wasn't sure what to expect. She had spoken the previous night, but by the time I'd learned of her appearance it was too late. For those of you unfamiliar with the woman I speak of, she is a well known poet, playwright, professor, lecturer, and activist. Now, I'm not familiar with the poetry world and I know little about spoken word but was excited when a small group of students were given a chance to recite their own pieces. The strength and power coming from simple words woven together was simply inspiring. It was encouraging to see other people, from my generation, express themselves about topics close to their hearts. With such a powerful opening and introduction, I was excited when Sonia took to the stage. Though small in stature, her presence was nothing of the sort. Sonia introduced poems by telling stories of their inspiration and creation, and even though they weren't the main focal point, every one had a message and meaning. She put great emphasis on the need for peace in this world and for everyone, young or old, to speak up about the injustices we witness on a day-to-day basis. There is no excuse for someone to sit by and let things happen, we all need to take action and fight for the cause! After hearing her words, her poems, and her stories, Sonia Sanchez has become another woman for myself, and many others, to draw inspiration from.

To learn more about Sonia Sanchez, I encourage you to visit her website: soniasanchez.net!

No comments:

Post a Comment